SPORT

  • STATSports Super Cup NI 2021 Cancelled

    After months of planning and meetings with government departments and discussions with tournament partners and funders, the Organising Committee of STATSports SupercupNI has made the decision to cancel this year’s Tournament, which was due to kick off on Sunday 25th July.

    Tournament chairman Victor Leonard said that ‘no stone had been left unturned’ in their attempts to stage the competition later this summer.

    “The organising committee has been working tirelessly since last August to bounce back from the disappointment of the cancellation of the 2020 event and return this year with a bigger and better tournament. However, ongoing issues with regards to the impact of COVID-19 across the world and logistical obstacles outside of our control there was no other option but to cancel this year’s tournament.

    “Over the last number of months, we have availed of support and guidance from the Public Health Agency and the Department for Communities before Committee made this decision.

    Participating in the Tournament is more than playing five football games over a week; it gives the young aspiring footballers the unique SupercupNI experience where young players can live, train and play together for a week, being in the same accommodation, providing a taste of what a professional football career might look like.

    “The tournament is an incredible experience for all of our young people and we felt that the restrictions, which needed to be put in place because of Covid, would adversely diminish the overall SupercupNI experience.”

    The tournament is one of the jewels in the crown of the Northern Ireland tourism industry and in 2019 the competition delivered £4.4 million to the Northern Irish economy and Leonard said this would be another blow to the hospitality and tourism sector. 

    “The media value in 2019 was £10.2 million, second only to the British Open in Portrush. The hard-working Tournament social media team, led by Jim Sandford and Jason Andrews produced a campaign resulting in a media value of £8 million in July last year even though the Tournament didn’t take place; this was a massive positive promotion for Council partners and Northern Ireland.

    We certainly had considerable drive and determination to not only organise the competition but play a role in kickstarting the return to football for young people and assist the local economy. The Event teams at Causeway Coast and Glens, Mid and East Antrim and Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Councils had been particularly helpful.

    “This is now the second year in a row that the tournament has been cancelled and all of the three council areas where our matches take place are usually a hive of activity, with hotels, bed and breakfasts and restaurants and bars all reporting high footfall throughout the week of the tournament.

    “There is no doubt this will be a huge blow to the local tourism and hospitality sector.”

    The Chief Executive for Hospitality Ulster, Colin Neill, has paid tribute to the event organisers and is saddened that the Tournament has had to be cancelled.

    Mr Neill, commented, “The STATSports SupercupNI is an integral part of our economy and the benefits created through the number of bed-nights and associated spend by thousands of visitors will be a significant loss to the hospitality sector as we move forward in our recovery process. 

    “Obviously, the Competition has been a key part of the Northern Irish sporting calendar for generations but it has also been part of the hospitality calendar for that same period of time. The benefit the competition has brought to our bars, restaurants and hotels has been vitally important.”

    The 2021 event would have been the largest event in the history of the competition, comprising four male age groups at 14, 15, 16 and 18 years old and a new female section which had attracted teams from England, Scotland and the USA.

  • Portstewart FC : New Head of Youth Development

    Portstewart Football & Community Club are pleased to announce the appointment of Jonathan McCrudden to the position of Head of Youth Development at the club.

    Freddie McGowan (PFC Chairman) said on the appointment.


    “It has been a key position for us to fill since the launch of our New Academy back in July of last year and we are delighted that Jonathan has taken up the role. We got the man who fits the high standards we have set for our Academy.

    He will bring unrivalled enthusiasm and dedication to his new role and his philosophies and standards will raise the level not only of our players but also our coaches in our quest to develop our young players.

    Listening to his vision for the future development of the Club’s Academy is refreshing, preparing our young players for the best possible chance of breaking through to our senior set up is extremely exciting and is another solid brick in the foundation of our great Club”.

  • Fonacab Nicholl Oils North West 200 cancelled for 2021

    Coleraine and District Motor Club has announced that the 2021 North West 200 will be cancelled for the second year running.

    In a statement on the North West 200 website the organisation said,

    “The official advice from government and public health officials has made it clear the effects of Coronavirus will remain with us for some considerable time to come, despite the roll out of the vaccination programme. In those circumstances, and after much consideration, the Club committee feels it would be impossible to run this year’s event.

    A contingency plan that involved delaying race week from May until August has been given full consideration. However, with so much time, expense and personnel involved in the planning and preparation of the NW200, the risk in pursuing such a plan is too great because of continued uncertainty around both the effects of the virus on our community and the extent of the restrictions aimed at suppressing it.

    The Coleraine Club’s main priority must be to ensure the safety and wellbeing of not only those involved in the event, but also the residents of the north coast area and further afield. It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for the organisers to limit the number of people who travel to the area during race week which, in turn, could pose a significant risk to the local population. That is a situation that cannot be contemplated.

    Although extremely disappointing, the decision to cancel the NW200 for the second year in a row is the only responsible course of action the Coleraine Club can take. We would like to offer our sincere thanks to all of our loyal sponsors, officials and volunteers for their understanding and support.

    We also apologise for any inconvenience caused by the cancellation and hope that this timely intervention can assist the teams and competitors who would normally take part in to our event in making alternative plans.

    The Coleraine and District Motor Club would also like to thank everyone who has supported us by retaining their bookings through this difficult period. Our reservations team will be in contact in the coming weeks as we now look forward to 2022 when a provisional date of May 8-14 has been allocated for what we hope will be the return of race week at Ireland’s largest motorcycle sporting event.

    Until then we ask that everyone stays safe and follows the official advice in support of those in the front line of the battle against Coronavirus.”

  • Coleraine FC – new signing

    Coleraine Football Club have confirmed a two and a half year deal with striker Matthew Shevlin.

    More at the Coleraine FC website https://colerainefc.com/shevlin-eyeing-silverware/

  • Coleraine win at Shamrock Park

    Coleraine scored three times in their 3-0 away win at newly promoted Portadown on Saturday (24th October 2020)

    With Ben Doherty, Jamie Glackin and James McLaughlin on the score sheet.

    Highlights of the game can be viewed on the Coleraine FC Youtube channel

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTL2-pbLbMg&feature=youtu.be
    POSTEAMPWDLFAGDPTS
    1  Linfield22008356
    2  Larne22005146
    3  Crusaders22002026
    4  Coleraine21013123
    5  Warrenpoint Town21012113
    6  Ballymena United21013303
    7  Cliftonville21011103
    8  Portadown210145-13
    9  Glentoran201112-11
    10  Glenavon201135-21
    11  Carrick Rangers200227-50
    12  Dungannon Swifts200205-50
    Danske Bank Premiership League Table after 24/10/2020

  • Coleraine FC sign goalkeeper Deane

    Coleraine FC have announced the permanent signing of goalkeeper Gareth Deane.

    Deane signs after a making several starts for the Bannsiders including Europa League matches.

    Speaking to the Coleraine FC website colerainefc.com, boss Oran Kearney said “We are delighted to get everything done and welcome Gareth to the club on a permanent basis,”

  • VIDEO – Home draw for Coleraine

    https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/draws/2021/2001237/

    Coleraine FC have been drawn at home to Scottish side Motherwell in the Second Qualifying round of the UEFA Europa League.

    The Bannsiders face the North Lanarkshire side on the 17th September, this following the impressive win against Maribor last week.

  • Cup games in NW Cricket this weekend

    Tonight (Friday, 28th August) sees the first of cup matches in the North West, where Brigade host Newbuildings in the T10 Premiership final.

    Coleraine are away to Donemana and Bready host Brigade in the Senior Cup tomorrow (Saturday, 29th August 2020) from 2pm.

    While Coleraine 2 are hosts to North Fermanagh in the Qualifying Cups.

  • Coleraine progress in Europe

    Coleraine held out to win on penalties at Slovenian side Maribor after the match finished 1-1 after extra time. The Bannsiders made sure the opposition didn’t have many chances in the first half.

    James McLaughlin scored on the 62nd minute with the home team responding three minutes later with Vancas Pozeg scoring.

    During extra time, Amir Dervisevic missed a penalty.

    Eight Bannsiders were given yellow cards by the Norwegian referee.

    Penalty kicks converted from Parkhill, Kane, McConaghie, Bradley and Doherty made sure the Bannsiders were in the hat for the next round, the draw of which will be on Monday (31st August 2020).

    https://twitter.com/BBCSPORTNI/status/1299098053891289097
  • Coleraine face Maribor in Europa League

    Coleraine play Slovenian team Maribor in the first qualifying round of the Europa League later this evening (Thursday, 27 August 2020).

    The Bannsiders jetted off yesterday, this after Oran Kearney’s team winning 1-0 last Thursday night at the Showgrounds against San Marino side La Fiorita.

    Kearney and Bannsider’s captain Stephen O’Donnell spoke to the media prior to the game tonight. Kick off at the Stadion Ljudski vrt is at 7.45pm and can be viewed on the BBC Sport NI website.

    VIDEO – colerainefc.com

    https://youtu.be/qL2AHR0Y1po
    Video credit : colerainefc.com